The Memphis Music Foundation was formed to try and tackle the issue of a lack of a music industry. Memphis is one of the biggest music cities in the world but is in jeopardy of losing this title. This title is based on the past, with no real future (1). "If we had the music industry in Memphis today that we had in the past, it would be contributing $1 billion each year to our local economy" (Deyo). The consumption of music and films thrive downtown and is essential for tourism. Many states have incentive investments to help attract musicians. Many of these musicians are coming from Memphis. The corridor between Memphis and Nashville is home to more musicians than any other spot in the country -- a source of pride for all of us -- and jobs, taxes, economic impact and bragging rights all go with it. Do you agree this argument that music could be very beneficial to Memphis' economy and therefore making it essential to save the music industry in Memphis? If you do believe it is essential to retain a music industry in Memphis what kind of incentives would you suggest? For me personally it is hard to see where a music industry could have such a huge affect on the economy. But when people are talking about how Memphis is losing $ 1 billion dollars each year by not having the music industry it once had, I have to listen. I do agree that it would help with tourism, which would help all businesses in Memphis.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/oct/23/guest-column-give-our-music-musicians-the-best/
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/oct/24/record-select-o-hits-marks-50-years-turbulent-musi/
As a Nashville native, I have to say, music is a huge industry there. It is the industry that has put us on the map and generates loads of income every year. Nashville, however, is known for country music, which is still a thriving genre. Blues is seen more as a genre of the past, which is why Memphis has not been able to capitalize on it as much as Nashville. Should Memphis attempt to create a modern Blues industry? Memphis is also the birth place of Rock and Roll, which seems to still exist. How does a city even begin to rebuild such an industry? Investments can only go so far.
ReplyDeleteI realize that the music industry has the possibility to make a large contribution to local economies, but I do not personally know if it is possible to bring back a thriving music industry in todays technologically driven society. Cities such as Nashville, and New York will always have large music industries, for simple reasons like how a vast number of the nation's top recording studios are located there. However, when I think of music, like many of my day I would venture to guess, I think about mp3's. Less often than I like do I go to a live concert, and I believe that this trend is nationwide. Large concerts sell out, I understand this. However, I the city's problems are far more extensively intertwined with the city's infrastructure and less with its entertainment capabilities.
ReplyDelete