The job market is extremely tough especially during this economic recession. In the latest figures from Tennesse's Department of Labor and Workforce Development the unemployment rate dropped to 9.8 percent. While this is better than the 10.6 percent posted last year, this still means that 59,300 people are unemployed. Just recently the Peabody posted a job opening for a position in its public relations department. This opening recieved 700 applications. Shortly after the Peabody posted an opening for a position as an administrative assistant. This is like finding a "needle in a haystack". The problem with the Internet is that if you find a job there with your name written all over it, there are 500 other people finding it at the same time. Networking is an essential tool for finding jobs and is responsible for 80 percent of white-collar job placements today, and successful job finders should spend 40 to 50 hours a week doing just that (1). Since networking is so important for finding and getting jobs, I believe it is extremely important for colleges to post the locations and occupations of alumni in order to help students locate job opportunities. I believe it is important for small community colleges to offer classes that teach students networking skills and interview skills because students that attend these schools tend to not have the alumni networking opportunities that students recieve from attending a four year school.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/nov/14/seeking-needles-in-haystacks/
I completely agree with the necessity for any college to set up an alumni network system. Rhodes' alumni network is fantastic. As a senior, I have been scouring the network for possible contacts. While a diploma from Rhodes is a huge asset in procuring a job, networking is a tool we have all been familiar with. I believe most college and university have an alumni network. It puts their students at a severe disadvantage if there is no network.
ReplyDeleteIn addition to Hunter's idea for networking and interview skills classes at community colleges, I think these classes should be offered for any adult in the community. It's difficult to finance, but it could be a good be a great volunteering program to set up.
I agree with Tyler's idea about the class for adults. There are many older people out there who may have never learned these skills or have these kinds of connections and if for some reason one day they lose they job, it will be that much more difficult for them to obtain a new job down the line.
ReplyDeleteI feel as though Rhodes does have a great alumni network, but that not a lot of people know about it/ take advantage of the opportunities it provides. I know that I have had professors ask where I want to be after Rhodes... what city or what type of direction I want my career to go in and they have thought about their previous students that they know in those areas. People need to learn to put themselves out there in order to reap the benefits that networking can provide.
I definitely agree that networking is an almost essential activity for students about to hit the workforce. I also have to echo the fact that not everyone boasts an institutional background like we will have once we leave Rhodes, nor can they access the resources that something like this affords. A community endeavor to increase the level of networking possible to the general populous seems like an extremely interesting idea. However, I think that finding people with the enthusiasm, time, or funding to make it possible could be difficult.
ReplyDelete