This is a link to more information about the development for the Pyramid.
Sunday, November 14, 2010
The Pyramid Revitalization- Category Killer?
In chapter 5 of our book, Big Box revitalization was discussed. The Big Box store is typically a store equivalent to Target, Wal-Mart, or K-Mart. Large stores like these have been crowding suburban areas for quite some time and are a favorite of consumers because they are a one stop shop. Other stores that are well liked by the public are what are known as "category killers". These stores are much like Big Box's but they specialize in one certain product area. One store that I would consider to be a category killer is Bass Pro Shops. Recently the development of Memphis's downtown Pyramid has been discussed and finally it has decided to allow this chained category killer store to occupy the large downtown building. While the overall plan for the development of the Pyramid does not only include Bass Pro Shops, the store will serve as the anchor for the large building. As stated in the reading, inner cities are often understored and the development of a downtown superstore will not only provide economic stimulus but it will also provide a number a jobs for low skilled workers that might happen to live in the area. After reading the pro's and con's to big store additions, do you think that the development of the Pyramid will thrive or take a dive?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think bringing the Bass Pro Shop to downtown Memphis will overall be a positive thing. This company provides services and goods that no other store in the area is selling. This attraction will hopefully bring business and shoppers to other stores downtown. Although, the pyramid is rather isolated from other downtown attractions. Considering what a problem parking is downtown, I belive consumers would not be willing to park and shop at the pyramid and then have to get back in their cars and pay to park and shop/eat somewhere else. I am unsure of the distance between the center of downtown and the pyramid but I think there is potential for very consicous pedestrian friendly landscaping to solve this problem. It might be easier to provide a walkway/path to the closest trolley stop. The company could also offer incentives such as free parking that would be a huge draw for all consumers.
ReplyDeleteI also believe bringing Bass Pro Shops to Memphis will overall have a positive impact on Memphis. The pyramid is not the only thing getting redeveloped. The surrounding area will also be redeveloped to improve the image and to provide people with more reasons to come to this area other than Bass Pro. Bass Pro will also create more low skilled jobs for people, which I think is important for people in Memphis. I personally have seen the plans for the Bass Pro and the ammenities are pretty cool. There will be a restaraunt, arcade, alligator pond, fish agarium, and a snake pit. I think this will attract many people to the Downtown area which in turn will help numerous of businesses. This is just merely a question, but is Bass Pro considered a "Category-Killer" or a "Big Box"? I can see arguments either way. Bass Pro does specialize in Outdoor equipment but they also have a wide variety of things. They have furniture, hunting and fishing items, clothing, cooking spices, and much more.
ReplyDeleteI think that this could potentially be successful or a serious flop. One reason I believe that you do not see a Bass Pro any closer than the Appling exit on Sam Cooper Blvd. is simply because there is not a huge demand for the merchandise they sell to the Downtown Memphis community at large. That being said, there will still be a large rush to be a part of the Pyramid's redevelopment, and the store will likely experience success at first. Also, since this will not simply be a monstrous Bass Pro, but a segue for more businesses to occupy the space I do see the potential for added benefits. The discussion of jobs is a great one, and I think that Carson's observation that this will provide free parking to the downtown area, though they will likely discourage it, is a great thing. Access to the trolley will also gain appeal. I am excited to see it happen, regardless of the outcome. I remember going to the Mike Tyson vs. Lennox Lewis "Rumble at the River" when I was a kid, and I thought the Pyramid was one of the coolest things ever. To see it now as an old abandoned building is just a little sad.
ReplyDelete